TIPS FOR PERFECTLY GRILLED PIZZA
Whether it is delivered or hot from the oven, pizza is always a crowd pleaser. But why not take this delicious dish one step farther? Let's talk tips and tricks to grilling the perfect pizza. That's right- grilled pizza! This cheesy little slice of heaven just got even better!
- Start with room temperature dough - The first and perhaps most important piece is properly prepared pizza dough. Whether you opt for fresh store-bought dough or prefer to make it yourself, allow the dough to come to room temperature before working with it. Let it sit for roughly 30 minutes before you begin stretching. This step will loosen the dough, making it easier to shape.
- Prepare your surface - Pizza dough can be sticky, so make sure to properly prep the area. Use a thin layer of olive oil or flour to coat your work surface beforehand.
- Use your hands to stretch the dough - Although it seems like an easier solution, using a rolling pin will remove air bubbles. This will leave you with a tough texture to your crust. Instead, use your hands to stretch the dough.
- Opt for soft cheese toppings - Grilled pizzas do not develop the same bubbling cheese like we've come accustomed to with oven baked pizza. Choosing a soft cheese such as mozzarella, feta or goat cheese will provide great results.
- Use a pizza stone - A pizza stone will mimic the style of cooking in an actual brick pizza oven. The ceramic material retains and evenly distributes heat, leading to an evenly cooked, crispy crust. Cooking directly on the grill can quickly burn the dough or lead to uneven cooking.
- Properly care for your pizza stone - Always place/remove the stone to or from a cool grill. To avoid unnecessary cracking, preheat pizza stone with the grill. Cleaning a pizza stone should be kept simple. Use only warm water and a gentle cloth to clean. Soap or other detergents will absorb into the stone and leach out onto food when cooking.
- Keep the grill covered - We know it is tempting to open the grill and peek, but try to fight the urge. Keeping the lid closed will help the toppings cook and cheese melt. The pizza is only on the grill for such a short period of time, so it is important to hold in as much heat as possible.
Accessories for the Perfect Pizza
Whether you are looking for a single tool or an entire set to get started, check out some of our best-selling pizza accessories.
- Napoleon 10" Pizza Stones Set - Set of 2 10" pizza stones are the perfect size for grilling up personal sized pizzas. These porous stones pull away moisture, rendering a perfectly crispy crust every time. These stones are user-friendly and a must-have.
- Napoleon Pizza Lovers Starter Kit - This Pizza Lovers Set is a pizza party in a box! The kit includes a pizza stone, stainless steel pizza peel, pizza wheel and 2-in-1 cheese grater/slicer.
- Summerset Pizza Oven 8 Piece Accessory Kit - Summerset has put together the ultimate pizza set. This extensive 8-piece kit includes everything but the grill itself! Kit includes leather gloves, steel smoker box, stainless steel serving spatula, pizza stone, stainless steel cutter/spatula, stainless steel wheel cutter, foldable pizza paddle and stainless steel grill rack.
GRILLED BRUSCHETTA PIZZA
Recipe By Andrea Alden, Courtesy of
- 1/2 lb. Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/2 Red Onion, Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Package Premade Pizza Dough
- Flour (for Rolling Out Dough)
- 3 Tablespoons Cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Oil
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and combine with the garlic and red onion. Stir in the olive oil and season to taste. Set aside and allow to marinate.
- Place pizza stone on the grill over direct heat and preheat the grill to 400-450 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the grill is preheating, begin rolling out pizza dough on a floured work surface. Once the grill is hot, sprinkle a pizza spatula and the pizza stone with cornmeal. Place the rolled out dough onto the pizza stone. Brush crust with garlic oil.
- Bake the dough for a few minutes until the bottom is slightly crispy. Flip the dough over and spread a layer of sauce and top with mozzarella cheese. Cook for a few minutes to melt cheese.
- Top the pizza with the fresh bruschetta mix and crumbled feta cheese. Bake until hot and dough is cooked through.
- Remove the pizza from grill, leaving the stone. Allow stone and grill to completely cool.
- Slice the pizza and ENJOY!
Serving Suggestion: Top with a drizzle of balsamic reduction and fresh basil.